New Essential SAFe 4.5 Guidance Update
Last month we released SAFe 4.5 and updated three courses from Scaled Agile’s role-based curriculum. Please see the June 2017 edition of the Scaled Agile Insider for more information on that. We are now busy updating the rest of our courseware, toolkits and professional development and enablement videos.
Along those lines, we are pleased to release an updated Essential SAFe guidance article based on the new features of SAFe 4.5.
If you’re new to the Framework, you might be wondering, “What is Essential SAFe?” To put it simply, it’s our answer to the frequently asked question, “How closely does an organization need to follow SAFe in order to get the full benefits?” Developed in 2016, Essential SAFe is the most basic view of the Framework and identifies the ten elements necessary to be assured of achieving results. When the enterprise incorporates these elements into each Agile Release Train in their portfolio, they are well on their way to realizing the full benefits of SAFe.
So, what’s new in Essential SAFe?
- Essential SAFe is now officially part of the Framework! It’s now one of the four configurations of SAFe.
- The ‘Agile Teams and Release Trains’ essential element was combined with the ‘Critical Agile Team and Program Roles’ element and is now called ‘Real Agile Teams and Trains.”
- A new essential element for ‘DevOps and Continuous Delivery Pipeline’ was added.
- Since there is a new Portfolio SAFe configuration in SAFe 4.5, the portfolio constructs are no longer part of Essential SAFe.
- Essential SAFe includes a new spanning palette, which contains a limited number of elements. However, you can use any or all of the elements of the larger spanning palette with the Essential SAFe configuration.
There are two essential assets as part of the new guidance article:
1. Essential SAFe 4.5 presentation and self-assessment worksheet.
The new self-assessment can be taken by simply downloading and printing the last page of the above presentation.
2. A downloadable version of the Essential SAFe 4.5 Big Picture in Powerpoint.
The ten Essential SAFe 4.5 elements are:
#1 – SAFe Lean-Agile Principles
#2 – Real Agile Team and Trains
#3 – Cadence and synchronization
#4 – Program Increment (PI) Planning
#5 – DevOps and Releasability
#6 – System Demo
#7 – Inspect and Adapt
#8 – IP iteration
#9 – Architectural Runway
#10 – Lean-Agile leadership
In the near future, SPCs and SPCTs will have additional resources in the SAFe Community Platform in the form of an Essential SAFe Toolkit. When published, it will be available in Performance Tools.
Always be SAFe,
Richard and the Framework team